OS reinstallation is to reinstall the OS (and pre-installed applications) of a Lighthouse instance to restore it to the initial status or install a new system. This is a common way to recover the instance in the event of a system failure.
Currently, Lighthouse supports the sensitive operation protection feature to effectively protect the security of account resources. It can be enabled in security settings. OS reinstallation is a sensitive operation.
- Cross-OS reinstallation:
- Currently, only instances in the Chinese mainland support cross-OS reinstallation, for example, from Linux to Windows or vice versa. A Linux instance system disk must be at least 40 GB in size as required by the Windows Server image; otherwise, cross-platform reinstallation will fail.
- Instances outside the Chinese mainland only support same-OS reinstallation.
- Data backup: After OS reinstallation, the system disk will be cleared and reset to the initial status of a new image. Therefore, you need to back up important data in it before reinstallation.
- Instance IP: After OS reinstallation, the instance public IP will remain unchanged.
- Forced shutdown: During OS reinstallation, the instance will be automatically shut down (soft shutdown will be performed first by default, and forced (hard) shutdown will be performed if soft shutdown fails).
- Log in to the Lighthouse console.
- Find the target instance in the instance list and select a reinstallation method as desired.
- In the instance card, select More > Reset application as shown below:
- Click the instance card to enter the instance details page. On the Overview tab, click *Reset application in Image details as shown below:
- Click the instance card to enter the instance details page. On the Pre-installed application tab, click Reset application in Application information as shown below:
If the Lighthouse instance doesn't use an application image, you cannot reinstall the OS in this way.
- On the Reset application page, select the target image (you can select a system, application, basic Docker, custom, or shared image), read the reinstallation notes, select I have read and understand the above notes., and click OK as shown below:
Was this page helpful?